Introduce yourself!

Hello! ^U^

My name is Clark Birmingham. I’m into:

• vaporwave
  • 80s, 90s, & 2000s nostalgia
  • cyberpunk
  • retrofuturism
  • the internet
  • retro videogames (especially 90s and 2000s videogames)
  • memes
  • and analog stuff.

I came here in the hopes to get to know this community and see what I can do and/or learn from here. It looks pretty chill. Seems like a lotta people here are rather welcoming of each other’s interests about analog synthesis/visual analog stuff or whatevs, lol.

And I like that aspect of this community. Let’s hope I can get to meet and chat with some of y’all! ^U^

I was also interested in learning how to create analog audiovisual devices that can give me a sort of 80s VHS vibe (you can see how I got into vaporwave, perhaps, lololol). I like effects where you see a moving image just go all trippy and moving in delays and you just feel like, “WHOOOOOOOOOAAAAA DOOD SO FAAAAAAAAAR OOOOOOOUT!!!”.

You know, that kind of feeling, lol.

Idk, I just like experimenting with stuff like that and I’m hoping I can find a starting ground for it with some proper guidance, maybe. Idk.

Btw, Idk if I should mention this, but I’m a neuro-atypical. I have:

• high-functioning autism (Asperger’s syndrome)
  • ADHD
  • and OCD.

I’ve dealt with mental illness all my life, but I don’t let that stop me from accomplishing my goals & dreams in life in the right way.

Do what makes you happy. Don’t let ANYONE stop you from being happy. Just…make sure it’s for the right reasons, lol you know?

Oh, and I’m a Christian, as well.

So, yeah. That’s about it. See ya.

8 Likes

Hi all,

My name is Tim, and online you can find me as CyborgJungle
I’m located in the Netherlands, in Amsterdam.

I have been visiting the Scanlines forum frequently in the last months and finally decided to create an account. What a nice and friendly community do you guys have on here!

I don’t have a background in music, arts or electrical engineering like many of you do seem te have. But I have always been interested in visual dreamy and surrealistic art.

I am a big fan of:

• Cult films, posters, books
  • Analog synthesizers
  • Old a/v hardware
  • Classic/Cult Japanese pop-culture
  • The dreamy aesthetics of analog video

After messing around with Hydra and TouchDesigner, I fell into the rabbit hole of analog video art. Which I have been exploring ever since. My gear consists of multiple video mixers, circuit bend video enhancers and some DIY modules from Melted Dreams and Freedom Enterprise. I love the crunchy, dreamy, glitchy aesthetics of analog video and have been very surprised with all your awesome projects and art!

For most of my work, I like to modify and glitch obscure video clips, likes old Japanese TV shows, and capture stills of the results. Feel free to check out my work at https://www.instagram.com/cyborgjungle/

Here is some of my recent work:

7 Likes

hello all!
I have been lurking since this place started but haven’t took the plunge and said hi.

my name is Liaizon Wakest, I don’t really know how to describe myself. I have way to many interests to list here. I make stuff and break stuff. I was really focused on glitch art when I first met @palomakop many years ago but that hasn’t been a focus for a long time.

In recent years I have spent more and more of my time trying to understand and further the open source and free culture movements especially in the field of artists and creative folks. The main focus in recent years has been the fediverse (I am followable at liaizon@wake.st) and I have been devoting a significant amount of time doing “community infrastructure development” or something I am not sure how exactly best to describe it. Been really into filing bug reports and starting discussions in the liminal space between projects. I currently don’t have a good portfolio anywhere of my work but I have been making digital art for 25+ years (I am only 32 but have the urls to back up this statement).

Sadly the best place to get a feel for the sort of work I have done in the “video arts space” is on Giphy (ironic I know, as it is now owned by my arch nemisis Facebook.) but you may go here to see lots of old moving works, also my tumblr archive has a good amount of my “art postings”

One of these days I will make a usable portfolio to make this type of introduction a bit easier… Hope to discus the inner workings of cathode ray tubes and datamoshing with yall in the future!

7 Likes

Hey there!
I’m Moritz, live in Berlin/Germany and am part of here is no there there, a collective of people who make music and video stuff. We build some devices ourselves (easy stuff like audio delays, reverbs, small synths), but the focus is more on using whatever device we have to make sounds and pictures. We also host small events in some off locations here in Berlin.

There’s no central portfolio of our output yet, but we’ll set this up in the future as we are now beginning to form a diy label.

Looking forward to spending time here :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hey team, I’m Jake and I’m a working musician living in Western Kentucky. I work as a double bassist, teacher, and audio engineer full time; one of those at least most of the time. In my downtime I build synths and dabble in all things electronic.

I’ve been delving into video over the past few months. I’ve always been interested in video, especially after seeing the LZX systems appear 4-5 years back, but there weren’t as many accessible sources of information prior to this forum; muffs is what it is, LZX forums focused on LZX gear which I don’t have, and everything else is/was an archaic mess.

Big thanks to everyone involved for compiling information in an accessible manner, excited to be here!

7 Likes

welcome new peoples! nice to meet you! happy bicycle day and glad you can join us just in time for our 1 year birthday <3

7 Likes

Hi Moritz!
I’m here in Berlin as well, u would love to be in touch and see if I can help with the label somehow. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello

i am bear

I am a lifelong dreamer and tinkerer of things but relatively new to the visual world. I got my start doing projection mapping for small local shows about 6 years ago and havent been able to shake this monkey off my back since. Sometime last year i stumbled on video based circuit bending and immediately fell inlove. Something about the analog feel just cant be replicated. I was close to pulling the trigger on someone elses ready made device when I decided to take that money and see what i can do on my own.

A year later and Ive got shelves of potential projects and notebooks full of documented bends. It is such a fun hobby that I hope to take to a point that someone may want to buy my devices some day. Aside from bending I also do video editing and have started doing 3d graphic design to start making my own visuals for live shows. Id love to be able to show some of my current work but Im tied up in other artists unreleased material so for now this picture of my mess station will have to do.

Heres to the world getting back to normal so we can start spreading this madness as it is intended.

5 Likes

Hi!
Cool, I’ll send you a dm!

Hi all

Been doing music for a while, mostly producing, vinyl releases etc. became interested in video stuff since I’m now a while into Eurorack modular.
This is what I’m doing at the moment:
Demos

I’m more interested in analog approaches but we will see where this journey will end :slight_smile:

3 Likes

cool to see something done with SSTV. I got pretty interested in the potential of misusing it a couple years ago but never really tried anything because, well, it would take a long time to process stuff.

The main idea I had was to get one of those low range FM transmitters that are sold for playing your ipod through a car radio etc. and then send and receive SSTV over FM across my living room a frame at a time as a video processing technique, but again it’s called SLOW scan TV for a reason and I never really found the time.

1 Like

Hey everyone!

My name is Jacob, and I’m a video artist/musician/audio engineer/student located in East Tennessee. I’ve been lurking for a while, but I finally decided to introduce myself. I’ve been dabbling in video art for about 2 years now, but have only recently gotten really into it. I’m very interested in analog video, both as an artistic medium and from a historical perspective. I am also greatly interested in circuit design for both video and audio.

I think this is a really cool community, and I’ve enjoyed seeing what other people have been creating. I don’t have an online portfolio, but this is my setup:

7 Likes

nice this looks promising! can you elaborate a little bit more about your setting?

Thanks! So the heart of my setup is an old Panasonic special effects generator. It’s basically a mini switcher with a focus on wipes and lumakeys. Above it is a 6 input switcher that I use to select what goes into a circuit bent sima video edit pro (on top of the gator case). I also use a VCR to play random off air recordings, which goes into one of the time base correctors. Since the SEG doesn’t have TBC inputs, everything has to be genlocked somehow. Otherwise everything going into it is just a wash of jumbled colors and rolling lines, which does look really cool sometimes. I also have an HDMI to NTSC downscaler to get video and images from my computer (that’s where the icosahedron is coming from). It also is plugged into a TBC. Having access to the procamp controls on the TBC’s are super useful for altering the look of video sources as well. I use the CRT to monitor program and also to create feedback using the Panasonic CCTV camera. Some of video sources and sync are plugged into some grass valley distribution amplifiers. I get too much signal loss without them when I run the video signals into more than 2 inputs. Plugging the feedback camera into a DA also lets me have more fine adjustment on its gain, and thus, feedback level. I also sometimes use a Karl Klomp dirty mixer and a fully DIY circuit bent archer enhancer.

For this particular image, I am getting an icosahedron from my computer and superimposing it onto program. I am using a portion of a VHS tape that has been degraded to black static. That is going into the sima video edit. Then the clean and circuit bent VCR signals are on a soft diagonal wipe. The camera is partially faded in to add the second, larger icosahedron.

Sorry for the wall of text, I feel like that was pretty long. Also I listened to some of your demos while I was studying for an exam. They’ve got a nice atmosphere.

1 Like

no that’s wonderful, thanks a lot for taking the time to write it down. It is very interesting for me to dig into peoples setups here in this forum. Here in Switzerland there is a lot of second hand culture and everyone throws things away. I’m always curious about old video gear in case I can rescue something.

Thanks for the kind words. There is a release from these demos coming very soon…

1 Like

Hiya.

My name is Stephen… I’m from sunny Glasgow in Scotland. I’m a musician and photographer that likes to experiment with different bits of gear and processes. I like old weird lenses, shooting film, performing with modified Game Boys, bizarre shaped guitars… and all that kind of thing. I make a bunch of videos about my escapades on https://www.youtube.com/c/allmyfriendsaresynths if you do the YouTube thing.

I’ve got a limited background in video production and visual art… mostly using some video synths and glitchy pre made footage for live performances, but recently got really interested in the kinds of things I can do with hardware video equipment in particular, and been exploring this whole wonderful world to make visuals for my music.

I play in a band called Hog Wyld, who just put out our first single from our first album… which used Lumen pretty extensively.

I put an explainer together for folks asking about it here:

Nice to meet you all!

7 Likes

Oi!

Stumbled across this place in my newly interest in video bending/synthesis.
Joined up after browsing for a couple days in search of answers so figured I sign up.
I’m From NY and looking to expand my music projects with some sequenced video work and just the sheer beauty of CRT and some old school optics.

My main workings are with Eurorack format and a few in the box dudes.
hope to learn a little bit of the advanced inner workings of electronics and circuit bending to forge up my own diy projects in the future.

Thanks for being an awesome community excited to learn from you all!

4 Likes

Hey all,

So I’m Ward Slager [Netherlands]. I keep myself mostly occupied with (often embedded) music tech stuff like building synthesizers, sound art installations and making algorithmic music. Recently while writing video syncing scripts and IP camera streaming scripts on Raspberry Pi’s for @RoelWeerdenburg, I got interested in embedded video synthesis. Work by bitluni and Rossum demonstrated to me the possibility of using an ESP32 to generate analog video signals. I found the scanlines community through a video by @YOVOZOL.

I like making pixel dust and swarm art with processing/p5js → .draw

Currently I’m working on an embedded video synthesizer to be able to create these generative pixel glitch art stuff I like with analog video. I want explore the ESP’s WiFi capabilities as antenna to pick up WiFi packets and use those as source for randomness. I also want to implement some sort of midi syncing or cue triggering.

more stuff → instagram / website

10 Likes

hey y’all, i’m cipote a video artist & filmmaker

i work with blender, touchdesigner and some analog mixing/feedback devices. i’m hoping to learn some more about RPi video mixing. i came across this board while looking at some r_e_c_u_r stuff. also super interested in learning to make my own circuits, ive built the dirty mixer but am hoping to try some more things.
bouquetlil

stoked to be here!!

7 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Betty from Croatia, was reading through the thread and was excited to see @v3d here, the person thanks to whose workshop I was first introduced to glitch art :slight_smile: I don’t know if you’re very active here, but if so - bok!

I am a total amateur and haven’t made anything in years, but recently I’ve been wathcing a lot of analogue glitch / video synth stuff, which led me to this forum. I’m really excited to learn more and to see what people have been up to!

8 Likes