Introduce yourself!

Hello

i am bear

I am a lifelong dreamer and tinkerer of things but relatively new to the visual world. I got my start doing projection mapping for small local shows about 6 years ago and havent been able to shake this monkey off my back since. Sometime last year i stumbled on video based circuit bending and immediately fell inlove. Something about the analog feel just cant be replicated. I was close to pulling the trigger on someone elses ready made device when I decided to take that money and see what i can do on my own.

A year later and Ive got shelves of potential projects and notebooks full of documented bends. It is such a fun hobby that I hope to take to a point that someone may want to buy my devices some day. Aside from bending I also do video editing and have started doing 3d graphic design to start making my own visuals for live shows. Id love to be able to show some of my current work but Im tied up in other artists unreleased material so for now this picture of my mess station will have to do.

Heres to the world getting back to normal so we can start spreading this madness as it is intended.

5 Likes

Hi!
Cool, I’ll send you a dm!

Hi all

Been doing music for a while, mostly producing, vinyl releases etc. became interested in video stuff since I’m now a while into Eurorack modular.
This is what I’m doing at the moment:
Demos

I’m more interested in analog approaches but we will see where this journey will end :slight_smile:

3 Likes

cool to see something done with SSTV. I got pretty interested in the potential of misusing it a couple years ago but never really tried anything because, well, it would take a long time to process stuff.

The main idea I had was to get one of those low range FM transmitters that are sold for playing your ipod through a car radio etc. and then send and receive SSTV over FM across my living room a frame at a time as a video processing technique, but again it’s called SLOW scan TV for a reason and I never really found the time.

1 Like

Hey everyone!

My name is Jacob, and I’m a video artist/musician/audio engineer/student located in East Tennessee. I’ve been lurking for a while, but I finally decided to introduce myself. I’ve been dabbling in video art for about 2 years now, but have only recently gotten really into it. I’m very interested in analog video, both as an artistic medium and from a historical perspective. I am also greatly interested in circuit design for both video and audio.

I think this is a really cool community, and I’ve enjoyed seeing what other people have been creating. I don’t have an online portfolio, but this is my setup:

7 Likes

nice this looks promising! can you elaborate a little bit more about your setting?

Thanks! So the heart of my setup is an old Panasonic special effects generator. It’s basically a mini switcher with a focus on wipes and lumakeys. Above it is a 6 input switcher that I use to select what goes into a circuit bent sima video edit pro (on top of the gator case). I also use a VCR to play random off air recordings, which goes into one of the time base correctors. Since the SEG doesn’t have TBC inputs, everything has to be genlocked somehow. Otherwise everything going into it is just a wash of jumbled colors and rolling lines, which does look really cool sometimes. I also have an HDMI to NTSC downscaler to get video and images from my computer (that’s where the icosahedron is coming from). It also is plugged into a TBC. Having access to the procamp controls on the TBC’s are super useful for altering the look of video sources as well. I use the CRT to monitor program and also to create feedback using the Panasonic CCTV camera. Some of video sources and sync are plugged into some grass valley distribution amplifiers. I get too much signal loss without them when I run the video signals into more than 2 inputs. Plugging the feedback camera into a DA also lets me have more fine adjustment on its gain, and thus, feedback level. I also sometimes use a Karl Klomp dirty mixer and a fully DIY circuit bent archer enhancer.

For this particular image, I am getting an icosahedron from my computer and superimposing it onto program. I am using a portion of a VHS tape that has been degraded to black static. That is going into the sima video edit. Then the clean and circuit bent VCR signals are on a soft diagonal wipe. The camera is partially faded in to add the second, larger icosahedron.

Sorry for the wall of text, I feel like that was pretty long. Also I listened to some of your demos while I was studying for an exam. They’ve got a nice atmosphere.

1 Like

no that’s wonderful, thanks a lot for taking the time to write it down. It is very interesting for me to dig into peoples setups here in this forum. Here in Switzerland there is a lot of second hand culture and everyone throws things away. I’m always curious about old video gear in case I can rescue something.

Thanks for the kind words. There is a release from these demos coming very soon…

1 Like

Hiya.

My name is Stephen… I’m from sunny Glasgow in Scotland. I’m a musician and photographer that likes to experiment with different bits of gear and processes. I like old weird lenses, shooting film, performing with modified Game Boys, bizarre shaped guitars… and all that kind of thing. I make a bunch of videos about my escapades on https://www.youtube.com/c/allmyfriendsaresynths if you do the YouTube thing.

I’ve got a limited background in video production and visual art… mostly using some video synths and glitchy pre made footage for live performances, but recently got really interested in the kinds of things I can do with hardware video equipment in particular, and been exploring this whole wonderful world to make visuals for my music.

I play in a band called Hog Wyld, who just put out our first single from our first album… which used Lumen pretty extensively.

I put an explainer together for folks asking about it here:

Nice to meet you all!

7 Likes

Oi!

Stumbled across this place in my newly interest in video bending/synthesis.
Joined up after browsing for a couple days in search of answers so figured I sign up.
I’m From NY and looking to expand my music projects with some sequenced video work and just the sheer beauty of CRT and some old school optics.

My main workings are with Eurorack format and a few in the box dudes.
hope to learn a little bit of the advanced inner workings of electronics and circuit bending to forge up my own diy projects in the future.

Thanks for being an awesome community excited to learn from you all!

4 Likes

Hey all,

So I’m Ward Slager [Netherlands]. I keep myself mostly occupied with (often embedded) music tech stuff like building synthesizers, sound art installations and making algorithmic music. Recently while writing video syncing scripts and IP camera streaming scripts on Raspberry Pi’s for @RoelWeerdenburg, I got interested in embedded video synthesis. Work by bitluni and Rossum demonstrated to me the possibility of using an ESP32 to generate analog video signals. I found the scanlines community through a video by @YOVOZOL.

I like making pixel dust and swarm art with processing/p5js → .draw

Currently I’m working on an embedded video synthesizer to be able to create these generative pixel glitch art stuff I like with analog video. I want explore the ESP’s WiFi capabilities as antenna to pick up WiFi packets and use those as source for randomness. I also want to implement some sort of midi syncing or cue triggering.

more stuff → instagram / website

10 Likes

hey y’all, i’m cipote a video artist & filmmaker

i work with blender, touchdesigner and some analog mixing/feedback devices. i’m hoping to learn some more about RPi video mixing. i came across this board while looking at some r_e_c_u_r stuff. also super interested in learning to make my own circuits, ive built the dirty mixer but am hoping to try some more things.
bouquetlil

stoked to be here!!

7 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Betty from Croatia, was reading through the thread and was excited to see @v3d here, the person thanks to whose workshop I was first introduced to glitch art :slight_smile: I don’t know if you’re very active here, but if so - bok!

I am a total amateur and haven’t made anything in years, but recently I’ve been wathcing a lot of analogue glitch / video synth stuff, which led me to this forum. I’m really excited to learn more and to see what people have been up to!

8 Likes

Hi my name is Chris / I live in San Francisco!

I am pretty new to video art but am interested in making sound and video composites! I like to tell stories but pictographic ones without words. I love art history and like to think that video art is on a continuum with still-frame artists (illustrators/painters) like Warja Lavater or Kazimir Malevich and we are all trying to describe the world we inhabit together using the tools we have right now - it’s cool to see people using video tools in so many different ways! I can’t wait to be surprised by how things evolve here. I have only made one thing using Video Waaaves but I already posted it in the Share New Work section so idk if it makes sense to do it again here so for convenience sake you can just skip to the 17:00 mark in it for the Video Waaaves stuff (link below). I am currently making footage and clips to do something with resolume maybe like an installation or performance with live musicians… anyway byeee

IG is 5k_candle

5 Likes

Hey, all! I’m new to scanlines but not new to video. Been shooting broadcast TV for decades and just got back into video as art. I recently bought some video-synthesis modules plus a boatload of old broadcast terminal gear. Excited to join in on the discussion here!

Sony DSR450 480p24 footage → Vidicraft proc-amp → BPMC Fluxus Duo.

Sony DSR450 480p24 footage → Sima SCC color-corrector.

Gieskes 3TrinsRGB+1c, first patch.

Erogenous Tones Structure → GlitchCRT.

7 Likes

Hello, I’m DownsFilms. I live in New England, US.

I started video editing in 2009. My friends and I would make ridiculous Call of Duty montages.

In 2012 I shifted my focus from video games to videography. I shot and edited my first fan-made music video using an HD handycam that year.

In 2016 I made my first attempt at “glitch art” using the effects found in Sony Vegas. I like to sync sounds with sights and I am very meticulous about where a clip is placed in a sequence. I often would implement hundreds of key frames within a visual.

Since then, I have had the privilege of collaborating with creative individuals from around the world.
In 2020 I started experimenting with glitch gear. I bought the rare Psychenizer and having been loving the experience so far. I’d like to buy more gear, but I feel as though I am only scratching the surface of what I could make between the gear, Premiere and AE.

Now I am still making music videos and exploring eco friendly/ energy efficient NFTS.
Here is a video I edited last year and my first glitch art visual from 2016. Check it out if you’d like.

7 Likes

Hey all, I’m Jude (he/him), or cobaltJude usually online. I’m a printmaker currently studying at RISD for Printmaking and Computation, Technology, and Culture. It’s one hell of a time.

My background in A/V art is pretty limited, but that’s why I’m joining here - to learn more. I’m really interested in analog media and also, old computers and internet stuffs. I was and still am a child of the internet since I started using the keyboard on the computer in my grandmas lap (probably when I was like, 4?). I’m very into malware and such but don’t have the resources to play with it (id prefer to have a separate, slightly older and less networked computer with a VM in it to protect myself because im paranoid lol).

I am also crap at playing guitar, but have played violin since I was like, 9. Really into music but cannot make it to save my life.

You can find my printmaking and illustration work at judebigboy.net, which is a constant work in progress. I’m thinking of moving back to hostinger and making a custom website for my site, but I got lazy after a while and switched to squarespace for the time being. I love making weird websites (cobaltjude.github.io is my current playground for rudimentary HTML stuffs) but modern webdev stuff baffles me.

Some other interests include: poetry, scifi, indigenous studies, and the ever classic among internet nerds - video games and anime.

And just to put my weird timeline into perspective, I’m 20 right now. Woo yeah. Currently looking to learn a bit about A/V technology and then branch into circuit bending and the like. I used to be on my high school robotics team as lead programmer, but they were total jerks to me so I left.

That’s all for me, hope to see y’all around.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

4 Likes

Hello everybody!

I’ve always been a big fan of analog visual effects, music, type, poetry and the intersection of them in art. Super excited to have found this community with the wealth of talent and passion that is here. I really dipped my toes into this after teaching myself cathodemer and learning to compose visuals for the backdrops for the band I was in. I found it super inspiring and have desired to take it further, dabbling into combining my music, poetry, and visuals. Those mediums have always been so intertwined for me so to explore it in my art is satisfying and exciting. I’m excited to take a deeper look around and hope to see you all around. (:

-agu

something I recently finished:

5 Likes

Hi. My name is Arvin. I’m a relative newcomer the the CRT/video bending world, but I come from a photography and electronic music background.

I’ve been interested in the world of glitch and video bending for a long as I can remember. Everything has been an influence. The holograms in Star Wars. The video work of Chris Cunningham. The photography of Rob Sheridan. Conky the robot from Pee Wee’s Playhouse.

I’ve been mostly experimenting in still images but I’m working my way up onto video. If you’d like to check out my progress my insta is @deadchannels.tv

Looking forward to the deep dive and learning and growing with everybody here!

6 Likes