Introduce yourself!

Welcoome @jsdot ! And thank u for ur open source contributions!! Its funny when we were first brainstorming names i immediately dismissed ‘scanlines’ as too similar to the ‘lines,’ forum - since then urs the first person iv seen to mention the similarity :joy:

3 Likes

Hey everyone. Not one for good introductions so I’ll try to hit all the marks.

Name’s Matt/Matthew/Whatever you want to call me. I’m not picky.
I’m 21, currently based in East side WA, but I’ve lived everywhere between the Cascades and the Ozarks. Done work in freight, metal-pressing, ventilation, automotive, eco-hazard cleanup, list goes on.

Always been fascinated with art as well as machinery/electronics. It’s been a lifelong passion that I don’t think I realized until mid-2020. I want to bridge the gap between electricity and the human experience, like a reconnection of the soul or however fancy you want it to sound. Using machinery, algorithms, wave functions, datamoshing, any means of free range lightning to find a proper expression, or hopefully a release.

As of now, I make primarily visual (digital+traditional) art, as well as a lot of poetry, but I want to get into sound design and production as to utilize my visuals better through animation. I was trained in viola, violin, and cello, but am teaching myself in bass, guitar and various means of percussion. There’s too much to learn in a lifetime, but I’ll be damned if I don’t try lol.

I’m extremely inexperienced, but that’s the exciting part. Was browsing for a book by the same name as this website and I happened into here, so it seemed like a wakeup call to actually start trying. Any words are welcome; help, criticism, even just a chat.

This is all that exists of my portfolio in the meantime, everything else is scattered across dozens of folders on multiple hdds. [Images by glowypants (glowypants) - Lensdump]

Apologies for the length. Hope this covers everything.
Y’all take it easy, much love, and thanks for having me. :slight_smile:
P.S. I am terrible with forums.

6 Likes

Hey lovelies,

Nice to see such a rad talented collective of heads.

I’m Jesse, mostly lurk & basically never hit record. I stay quiet. Geographically oscillate between Northern California (winter) & building a cabin/planting a forest in Northern Minnesota (summer).

Mostly stick to the LZX rig, been at it since 2015 probably? Dig outboard gear but like to modulate everything and love my stack cables so usually cant be bothered. Big into movement & audio reactive video.

Lately been nerding out on PDN’s & clean power, getting handy with diptrace, and building hundreds of NLC modules. Love building everything, DIY or die.

When I used to upload video: Aahs Video - YouTube

Thx for the knowledge shared & thanks for all the effort that goes into dreaming/building/maintaining a space for the goulash or whatever

4 Likes

Howdy everyone!

I’m Jake, I live in Washington State, I’m 35. I’ve been working for the live event industry for 15 years directing video and building LED screens. This introduced me to the world of VJing about 5 years ago, which I have been infatuated with.

I love to hang out in the studio / garage and experiment with different setups. I enjoy using Resolume and have a real big appreciation for analog. I have been uploading my VHS captures to Youtube for almost a year now. Some visual art stuff too, but usually I create bits and bops instead of cohesive videos. Although I’m trying to change that!

Posting is hard for me as a life-long lurker, but here I am, peeking out from my bubble :eyes:

6 Likes

Hi!

I am Alex, I am 63, located in Upper Franconia in Germany. I am the synth/guitar player of Golden Deutsch Quartett https://www.golden-deutsch.de

I am looking for a simple(!!) method to add videos to our shows, and user “fairplay” of sequencer.de recommended r_e_c_u_r. I read a bit about this project, but I still have a lot of questions :wink:

Cheers,
Alex

2 Likes

…welcome! - and just as a little sidetrack - i am here too :wink:

2 Likes

Backwards smile

The line to scan

Corrupted translation

1 Like

Hi, I’m Mark from Northern England and I’m interested in the combination of music and video as a creative hobby. I’m very grateful for this site and the community here for making knowledge of video art more accessible.

I have been enjoying the results of tool building both for glitch art and video synthesis.
Today I finished building the Recurboy and love it already. Here it is alongside the Mainbow video synth.

6 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Etienne from France.
Nice to meet you all, sorry I don’t have much to show you, I’m starting in video art & production.
:wave:

3 Likes

howdy, I’m orangecalx from virginia, usa. I mainly work w/ sound but got into video about 4yrs ago at this point and have been enjoying it a lot. I run a (currently hibernating) eurorack operation called wildfire laboratories as well.

I use an even mix of analog and digital techniques and tools, including max/msp, VHS, standard analog glitch stuff (circuit bent devices, mixers, etc) and arduino.

some of my work:

a video for my friend Molasses’ track “Having a Body” from his album on No Rent Records

one of 8 (?) parts from an audiovisual album called “Vows” from a few years ago

(^ screenshot from an unfinished series called “portraits”)

3 Likes

hello this is scragz checking in from seattle. I mostly make music but have been putting it to little animations recently and getting deeper into the psychedelic video world.

my current project is SPLASTEEN:
SPLASTEEN - YouTube (pls subscribe)

and here’s the obligatory self portrait:

3 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’ve been lurking around on here for a while and thought it might be fun to introduce myself, and a project that I’ve been working on for a while.

I’m an amateur when it comes to this world, but I have a background of filmmaking, art, and design. Lately I’ve been experimenting with video feedback loops, analog mixing, and how the two can interact with various external stimuli, especially in ways that sync to music (I hope to do live shows sometime in the future). If anybody’s interested in my video journey, I’ve been making video sketches as I document my progress in learning about this artform (and mess around with my friends too hehe).

You can find it here.

I also post updates on other projects that I’m working on, projects I’m helping friends with, and miscellaneous cool pics here.

In other news, a friend I’ve been collabing with a lot got ahold of a VP-8 machine similar to the one used to analyze the Shroud of Turin. It’s supposed to translate static 2D images into 3D (simulated) models, and it was created in the 70’s. It sorta blows my mind that we’ve been playing with technology that’s 50 years old, and how easily it intergrates into our modern tech. You’ll see his stuff in the video sketch archive in a couple days as the scheduled posts go live (I usually record a few per session, but I think it’s more fun to upload one per day to keep things interesting).

Cheers,
Sc0o0tt

(Edited to add my self portrait)

4 Likes

Hello!

Long time lurker, first time poster here. My name is Sven, I live in Germany and started making video art about two or three years ago as Rauschfeld. I mostly make music videos for my own music (for example TELE83, my synthwave/krautwave project) with a variety of analog devices, some circuit bent. I have my analog setup integrated with Resolume and love using analog and digital together. I’ve never played a live video gig, although that is something I would like to do some day.

Nice to meet you all!

11 Likes

Hey y’all,

My name’s Adam and I’m from Miami, FL area. I’ve been messing around with circuit bending and video synthesis for a few months on and off now and am still very new to it but loving the journey :).

I have so far mainly focused on vga feedback and other diy circuitry like AVEMOD. I built my own very crude vga feedback synth with an LFO not too long ago and I plan to continue to focus mainly on DIY pathways of exploration.

Please feel free to check out my work thus far on tiktok.

I also write my own music (mainly on a dirtywave M8) and play drums in a band known as mykeadelic

Thanks and look forward to working and chatting with all of you :slight_smile: cheers

“Self-portrait”

7 Likes

hey we are a bit more SW in FL close to fort myers.
welcome!

Nice! wasn’t sure how many people were in here from our distant corner of land :slight_smile: we should do a southFL meetup soon

2 Likes

Hello there Video freaks !

My name is François. I’m from Belgium.

I am an experienced musician/music producer and beginner video artist.

After working for others for tooo long (17 years), I decided to quit all of it in an attempt to finally be myself. I have Covid to thank for that.

It’s been a bit tough, as with any kind of burnout, I guess. But fast forward in time and I have developed a special project : Analog Memory.

Analog Memory is my platform for artistic expression, which I consider like an organism.
It started as a music project involving tape loops and is now slowly but surely growing into a full blown AV show.
It’s very DIY with a first take approach. I was a total video noob three months ago, but thanks to people like @andrei_jay and @YOVOZOL I discovered this community and learned a ton of useful and fun stuff. I gathered some basic equipment on the cheap and now I’m off to the races.

Fun fact : my project is entirely analog and i do everything myself from the stage, the music, FOH sound and video.

Thanks !

Here are some pictures :

12 Likes

Hey scanlines gang! Just want to say thanks for how supportive this group has been getting started in all this. It’s been immensely helpful having this information out in the open!

We’re a duo called Y.E.A.T.V. trying out whatever comes our way with video art, playing shows for bands, making weird clips at home, and just experimenting with whatever gear we can get!

Here’s our instagram

If anyone visits Thailand, please feel free to get in touch! We would love to meet up with others in this awesome community! Cheers!

3 Likes

Hey everyone, I’m Tommy D! I recently started making visuals as Hologram Jesus, and just did my 2nd show. Currently I’m using camera feedback and vhs samples going into a Mutant Enhancer from Melted Electronics, all out of a V4. I’m been messing with adding the 3Trins in the chain as well.
So far I’ve gotten a lot of great feedback from everyone! I’m working towards recording some of my clips, right now I’m searching for a way to upscale off the V4 so it will work with my capture card on my PC.
This is a great community and I’ve already learned a lot from the creators here!

6 Likes

Hey folks, I’m Sam! I’ve been slowly building out my video setup, still learning how to make interesting visuals with it, it’s so much fun
I started off with an MX-10, and then got the V4 and later found an AVE3 at the flea market - they’re all really useful devices in different ways, and I still have to discover everything they can do!

One thing I found useful was to get a big matrix switcher (16x16 in my case) and plug everything into it, so I don’t have to deal with cables - those cheap BNC-RCA adaptors break easily if you keep plugging and unplugging cords into them

Also, I still need to sort out a good way to capture things, as well as a few more video sources (recently discovered the audio visualiser on the Xbox 360, which is amazing, and has earned a permanent spot in the setup)

11 Likes