Videonics Video Equalizer VE-1, psu build

Join Github or if you are already on it send me your user name.

My username on github is cyberboy666 also. I will take a look when i get the chance

I started probing and drawing. It is a lot harder than I thought. Have to follow traces on both sides of the board.

I think one mystery is solved. One +5v pin seems to not connect to anything. Pin 2 is not used. So I think we might be done here. We just need a PSU that has +5 @ 600mA and and -5 volts at 500mA, 15 watts. Both 5 and 3 are ground and have continuity between each other on the board side and on the PSU side.

There are some reworks on the board in the form of cut traces and jumpers so I guess it is not that much of a surprise that they provided an extra +5 source that ended up not getting used.

1 Like

Anyone have luck identifying a compatible PSU? I just picked up on myself without a supply. I’ve done a bit of searching for mini 5 pin din PSUs, but have not seen anything that was obviously a fit. I have considered emailing one of the many eBay vendors with the specs to see if they can come up with something, but thought I’d drop in here first. Thanks!

I am also facing this issue. I’m thinking about pulling out the rare mini 5-pin din connector and replacing it with something more standard.

What would be a good standard connector for bipolar 5v power?

Maybe the 4-pin things I see on some cameras? What are these called?

You might be referring to 4-pin XLR power. The power supplies are not cheap and I don’t know anything about power conversion, input or output… if possible I would say changing the jack to a standard barrel power supply would make the most sense but with all the discussion above I don’t know if that would even be possible. More of an Electrical Engineer question.

1 Like

Just to follow up on this, I did find some 5-pin mini DIN connectors and they fit, so I am going to build a bipolar 5v power supply and use those connectors. Found everything on Amazon:

connectors:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C7G7KD21

5v power supplies, configurable (I hope these work):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YXN8J6R

4 Likes

Someone just brought this thread to my attention.

Did yall figure this out? Been building this PSU since 2014. Want me to put the notes up?

6 Likes

Yes Please Do.

1 Like

Ok, I will get out of my storage this week. I made a PCB for it but its in a old old computer so I will just put photos, drawing schematic and parts list here. If anyone decides to make a PCB from it. Please share with me. Only issue I had was housing it safely. I made a few and put in Radio Shack project boxes but never perfected it and eventually abandoned making them due to having a billion other projects. It works though. I just never felt safe in making more due to its a very hot device as you know if you have the og psu brick. Even the heat sinks only help so much. I’m sure you wizards can maybe modify it even better.

5 Likes

I can help a little with the PCB design.

I think @nsputnik and @Durp would be interested in your notes as well.

1 Like

Can anyone confirm if this adapter would be compatible with the VE-1 5-pin units?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc./GP50A13A-R1B/7703342?utm_adgroup=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PMax%20Shopping_Product_High%20ROAS%20Categories&utm_term=&utm_content=&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADrbLljOiS8XyygFCwuPdBTJFuZvo&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkuzC-cDAggMVWCitBh21tggGEAQYASABEgKcN_D_BwE

1 Like

Anybody know if the 12VAC model actually needs the AC or will it function with 12VDC?

No, this has a 5 pin din plug. The VE-1 used mini din. The wattage is more than is required.

Just hold tight, I think we might find a solution soon.

Sounds good! Just got the correct plug, and now need to locate proper power source and pin diagram. I’m ready to build!

@tachyonsplus - did you put the notes up somewhere? I would love to see them.

Hey all, just wanting to say I just snagged one of these from an old couple ditching a bunch of old video gear off marketplace… but alas… no power supply. I’ll be following this thread as well!

So I posted about this in the Facebook group Video Circuits and a user named Ryan was able to find a Meanwell PSU with the exact specs! I have it on order and will put it together (will require soldering and voltage measuring) and try it. It is Meanwell part PD-2505.

2 Likes

I need to pick one of these units up. I know I could bang out a power supply replacement for them pretty quick…

I’ve starting scribbling out a pretty unique power solution for this. If I can work out the kinks, it will be pretty small, very efficient, AND {redacted}…

2 Likes